THE MISSION OF CWSA
The Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA), is committed to effective facilitation of the provision of sustainable potable water and related sanitation services as well as hygiene promotion to rural communities and small towns through resource mobilization, capacity building and standards setting with the active participation of major stakeholders.
The CWSA undertakes to do this by playing a facilitative role in the coordination and encouragement of private and public sector agencies’ participation in the delivery of water and sanitation services. The agency shall also work to ensure equity in the distribugh of facilities as well as their sustainable use over a long period of time through through the application of effective community mobilization and hygiene education techniques at the facility user level.
THE VISION OF CWSA
The Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA) aspires to be a highly effective and efficient professional organization working harmoniously with stakeholders to deliver sustainable water and related sanitatices to all rural communities and small towns.
Over the medium term, CWSA desires to be an Agency that is well structured and responsive to its function and challenges, and developing adequate capacite capacity for accelerated coverage of water and sanitation facilities to its target communities.For CWSA to realize these ideals there must prevail at the DA and community levels highly skilled personnel, functional civl society groups, associations and specialized Private Sector Firms.
With the creation of this capacity, it will become possible to achieve the provision of sustainable community water and household sanitation in 72% of rural communities and small town in the medium tern (2008-2012) and 85% coverage by 2015 (Revised CWSA SIP-2008-2015). The is expected to achieve to achieve the following results:
- Adoption of good community governance culture in communities, with women taking the lead role in decision-making, by exercising good communication and negotiations skills, planning and management of water and Sanitation Projects.
- Training of Community elected groups to show transparency in facilities Management (WATSANs/WSDBs)
- Aspeed up of the rural development process by the release of the energies of rural populations from the drugery of searching for water over long distances and reducing sickness down-time per capita and directing such energies to the productive sectors of the economy.
- In the process of achieving these results, CWSA emerges as a specialized community water and sanitation mangement group providing national leadership in the provision of quality technical advice to District Assemblies and other agencies on water and sanitation issues for the sustence of delivered facilities, strutures and processes.
- In the long run, CWSA is established as a centre of excellence in the dissemination of quality data on water and sanitation facilities and hygiene education practices in Ghana.